SOPHIA WHEELER was a convict woman who was tried and convicted at the Kent Assizes, Kent, England on 17 March 1828 and sentenced to seven years transportation per Competitor (2) (1828).
In the colony SOPHIA married convict JOHN WHEELER (alias JOHN HITCHENS) per Hercules (1825). However, SOPHIA died at the recorded age of just 27 years old at the Parramatta Female Factory and was buried in the parish of St. John’s, Parramatta on 16 August 1831.
- Maiden name: SARAH SHEPPARD
- Born: c. 1804 (age calculated from age recorded at death, so this may be inaccurate)
- Tried and convicted: 17 March 1828, Kent Assizes, Kent, England
- Sentenced to seven years transportation: 1828, Kent, England
- Sailed to the colony of New South Wales per Competitor (2): 13 June 1828, London, England
- Arrived in the colony of New South Wales per Competitor (2): 10 October 1828, Port Jackson, New South Wales
- Married convict JOHN WHEELER
- Died: c. 16 August 1831, Parramatta Female Factory
- Buried: 16 August 1831, St. John’s Parish, Parramatta
- Unmarked grave, exact location in the parish of St. John’s, Parramatta unknown.
- Wife of JOHN WHEELER (alias JOHN HITCHENS), convict per Hercules (1825)
- Parish Burial Registers, Textual Records, St. John’s Anglican Church Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia.
# Trial Place: Kent Assizes
# Punishment: Seven Years Transportation
# Ship: Competitor (2) (1828)
# Parramatta Female Factory
# Death Place: Parramatta Female Factory
# Burial Year: 1831
# Grave: unmarked