Scottish convict woman tried and convicted at the Glasgow Court of Justiciary on 4 May 1839 and sentenced to seven years transportation per Surrey I (10) (1840).
May have been incarcerated at the Parramatta Female Factory later on if the Female Factory inmate recorded as “JANE WIFFEN” in the St. John’s baptism record of a baby named JANE WIFFEN was actually an incorrect recording of “MARY WIFFEN.” These kinds of errors were by no means uncommon in the baptism register, particularly where convicts were concerned. Adding weight to this theory is the fact that MARY WIFFEN’s ticket of leave had been cancelled only a month or so before the baby’s birth and baptism.
- Alternate: JANE WIFFIN (c.f. daughter’s baptism record)
- Alternate: MARY WHIFFEN
- Alternate: MARY WHIFFIN
- Tried and convicted: 4 May 1839, Glasgow Court of Justiciary, Scotland
- Sentenced to seven years transportation
- Sailed to the colony of New South Wales per Surrey I (1): 2 April 1840, Downs
- Arrived in the colony of New South Wales per Surrey I (1): 13 July 1840, Port Jackson, New South Wales
- Received Ticket of Leave: 11 October 1844
- Ticket of Leave cancelled for being outside district: 25 January 1845
- Daughter JANE WIFFEN born: 15 February 1845, lying-in hospital, Parramatta Female Factory
- Daughter JANE WIFFEN baptised: 23 February 1845, St. John’s Church, Parramatta
- New Ticket of Leave issued: Liverpool, New South Wales, March 1846
- Parish Baptism Registers, Textual Records, St. John’s Anglican Church Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia.
- “Government Gazette Notices,” New South Wales Government Gazette (Sydney, NSW : 1832 – 1900), Friday 28 February 1845 [Issue No.17],p. 232.
- “DOMESTIC INTELLIGENCE APPLICATIONS OF INSOLVENTS FOR CERTIFICATES OF DISCHARGE,” Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 – 1954), Monday 3 March 1845, p. 4
- “TICKETS OF LEAVE CANCELLED,” Morning Chronicle (Sydney, NSW : 1843 – 1846), Wednesday 5 March 1845, p. 4.
- “NEW TICKETS-OF-LEAVE,” The Star (Sydney, NSW : 1845 – 1846), Friday 13 March 1846, p. 4
Note: This profile is a stub. More information will be added in due course.