LOUIS LOVELL was the child of SAPY LOVELL, a Romani convict and a frequent inmate of the Parramatta Female Factory. He was born in the workhouse of the gaol in the market town of Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, England after his mother had been arrested for stealing a silver spoon from a house. After months imprisoned there, LOUIS and SAPY were transported to the colony of New South Wales on board the convict ship Louisa (1827). LOUIS died, aged 15 months, most likely in the Parramatta Female Factory where he and his mother were taken after disembarking. He was buried on 22 February 1828 by REVEREND SAMUEL MARSDEN in an unmarked grave at St. John’s Cemetery, Parramatta. The exact location of his unmarked grave in the cemetery is unknown. His younger half-brother, NATHANIEL, born at the Parramatta Female Factory and baptised in the parish of St. John’s, Parramatta, also died at the Factory and was buried at St. John’s Cemetery.
- Born: circa November 1826, Gaol Workhouse, Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, England
- Transported to the colony of New South Wales per Louisa with his mother SAPY LOVELL: 24 August 1827
- Arrived in the colony of New South Wales per Louisa with his mother SAPY LOVELL: 3 December 1827
- Disembarked and sent to Parramatta Female Factory with his mother SAPY LOVELL: 18 December 1827
- Died: February 1828, presumably at the Parramatta Female Factory (although the St. John’s parish burial records do not mention the Factory).
- Buried: 22 February 1828, aged 15 months, by REVEREND SAMUEL MARSDEN, St. John’s Cemetery, Parramatta
- Unmarked grave, St. John’s Cemetery, Parramatta, exact location unknown.
Beggar Woman: Sapy Lovell (2016)
Abstract: A biography about the Romani convict Sapy Lovell who was Louis’s mother. more>>
- Cherryseed, “Beggar woman – Sapy Lovell,” Tinker – Tailor – Soldier – Sailor –, (2016) https://cherryseed.wordpress.com/beggar-woman-sapy-lovell/ accessed 11 November 2016
- Parish Burial Registers, Textual Records, St. John’s Anglican Church, Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
# Convict’s Child
# Parramatta Female Factory
# Place of Death: Parramatta Female Factory
# Burial Year: 1828
# Grave: unmarked