JUDITH BUTLER was an Irish convict who was tried and convicted at Kilkenny, Ireland in 1831 for stealing a pig and sentenced to seven years transportation per Hooghly (3) (1831). She was married and had one child on board the Hooghly; his named was JOHN BUTLER. With a young child in tow, JUDITH would have been deemed unassignable on arrival in the colony in late September 1831 and both mother and son would have been forwarded to the Parramatta Female Factory.
Just two month later, JUDITH died at the Factory, aged 34 years. She was buried by Reverend SAMUEL MARSDEN in an unmarked grave in the parish of St. John’s, Parramatta on 30 November 1831. The exact location of her grave is unknown. JUDITH’S son, JOHN BUTLER, also died at the Factory and was buried in the parish of St. John’s on 24 February 1832. His recorded age at the time of his death was one year and three months old.
- Alternate: JUDETH BUTLER (c.f. burial record)
- Born: 1797, Kilkenny, Ireland
- Tried and convicted of pig stealing: 1831, Kilkenny, Ireland
- Sentenced to seven years transportation
- Sailed to the colony of New South Wales with her child per Hooghly (3): 24 June 1831, Cork, Ireland
- Arrived in the colony of New South Wales with her child per Hooghly (3): 27 September 1831, Port Jackson, New South Wales
- Died: c. 30 November 1831, Parramatta Female Factory
- Buried: 30 November 1831, unmarked grave, St. John’s parish, Parramatta
- Son JOHN BUTLER died: c. 24 February 1832, Parramatta Female Factory
- Son JOHN BUTLER buried: 24 February 1832, unmarked grave, St. John’s parish, Parramatta
- Unmarked grave, exact location in the parish of St. John’s, Parramatta unknown.
- Mother of JOHN BUTLER
- Dairy maid
- Maid of all work
- Irish Convicts to New South Wales, 1788–1849 (http://members.pcug.org.au/~ppmay/cgi-bin/irish/irish.cgi, 2011), JUDITH BUTLER, accessed 10 October 2018.
- Parish Burial Registers, Textual Records, St. John’s Anglican Church Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia.
# Punishment: Seven Years Transportation
# Ship: Hooghly (3) (1831)
# Parramatta Female Factory
# Death Place: Parramatta Female Factory
# Burial Year: 1831
# Grave: unmarked