JOHN BUTLER was the son of Irish convict JUDITH BUTLER. He came to the colony on board the convict transport ship Hooghly (3) (1831) with his convict mother. With a young child in tow, JUDITH would have been deemed unassignable on arrival in the colony in late September 1831 and both mother and son would have been forwarded to the Parramatta Female Factory.
Just two month later, JUDITH died at the Factory, aged 34 years. She was buried by Reverend Samuel Marsden in an unmarked grave in the parish of St. John’s, Parramatta on 30 November 1831. The exact location of her grave is unknown. JOHN only survived a few months after his mother; he died at the Factory on 24 February 1832 and was buried in an unmarked grave in the parish of St. John’s, Parramatta.
- Born: 1830, Kilkenny, Ireland
- Mother JUDITH BUTLER is convicted of house robbery: 1831, Kilkenny, Ireland
- Mother JUDITH BUTLER sentenced to seven years transportation: 1831
- JOHN sailed with his mother to the colony of New South Wales per convict ship Hooghly (3): 24 June 1831, Cork, Ireland
- JOHN arrived with his mother to the colony of New South Wales per convict ship Hooghly (3): 27 September 1831, Port Jackson, New South Wales
- Mother JUDITH BUTLER died: c. 30 November 1831, Parramatta Female Factory
- Mother JUDITH BUTLER buried: 30 November 1831, unmarked grave, St. John’s parish, Parramatta
- JOHN BUTLER died: c. 24 February 1832, Parramatta Female Factory
- JOHN BUTLER buried: 24 February 1832, unmarked grave, St. John’s parish, Parramatta
- Unmarked grave, exact location in the parish of St. John’s, Parramatta unknown.
- Son of JUDITH BUTLER, convict per Hooghly (3) (1831)
- Irish Convicts to New South Wales, 1788–1849 (http://members.pcug.org.au/~ppmay/cgi-bin/irish/irish.cgi, 2011), JUDITH BUTLER, accessed 10 October 2018.
- Parish Burial Registers, Textual Records, St. John’s Anglican Church Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia.
# Convict’s child
# Ship: Hooghly (3) (1831)
# Parramatta Female Factory
# Place of Death: Parramatta Female Factory
# Burial Year: 1832
# Grave: unmarked