ANN COLWELL was a convict woman who was tried and convicted at the Old Bailey, London alongside accomplice WILLIAM JENNINGS on 1 January 1838 for committing a violent robbery against a woman named MARY ANN MATTHEWS. COLWELL was sentenced to fifteen years transportation per John Renwick (1) (1838).
In the colony, ANN COLWELL gave birth to twin girls born at the Parramatta Female Factory, SARAH COLWELL and HARRIET COLWELL. ANN died at the Factory and was buried on 5 September 1840, shortly after the twins were baptised at St. John’s Church, Parramatta. One of the girls died age 2 weeks old. The other died aged 2 years. However, both girls’ names were incorrectly recorded in the burial records as “MARY ANN.” The surname was also continually misspelt, so it is unclear which of the twins died first.
- Alternate: ANNE CORBETT (c.f. burial record)
- Alternate: ANN COLVILL
- Alternate: ANN COLVELLE
- Alternate: ANN COLVILLE
- Born: 1819, London, England
- Tried and convicted for violent theft alongside accomplice WILLIAM JENNINGS: 1 January 1838, Old Bailey, London, England
- Sentenced to fifteen years transportation: 1838, Old Bailey, London, England
- Sailed to the colony of New South Wales per John Renwick (1): 3 May 1838, Downs
- Arrived in the colony of New South Wales per John Renwick (1): 27 August 1838, Port Jackson, New South Wales
- Gives birth to twin girls SARAH COLWELL and HARRIET COLWELL: 13 July 1840, lying-in hospital, Parramatta Female Factory
- Twin girls baptised: 30 August 1840, St. John’s Church, Parramatta
- One of the twin girls died: c. 2 September 1840, Parramatta Female Factory
- Died: c. 5 September 1840, Parramatta Female Factory Hospital
- Buried: 5 September 1840, St. John’s Parish, Parramatta
- The remaining twin died: c. 7 July 1842, Parramatta Female Factory
- Unmarked grave, exact location in the parish of St. John’s, Parramatta unknown
- Old Bailey Proceedings Online (www.oldbaileyonline.org, version 8.0), 1 January 1838, trial of WILLIAM JENNINGS and ANN COLWELL (t18380101-458), accessed 10 October 2018.
- Parish Baptism Registers, Textual Records, St. John’s Anglican Church Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia.
- Parish Burial Registers, Textual Records, St. John’s Anglican Church Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia.
- The Digital Panopticon (https://www.digitalpanopticon.org/, version 1.1), Ann Colwell Life Archive (ID: obpdef2-458-18380101), accessed 10 October 2018.