Convict’s child who lived at the Parramatta Female Factory. Child of convict ADELAIDE DE LA THOREZA and, according to the baptism record at least, JOHN SMITH aka GEORGE SMITH, a man servant.
- Alternate: ALFRED SMITH
- Colloquial: ALF SMITH
- Born: 13 July 1831, lying-in hospital, Parramatta Female Factory
- Baptised: 7 August 1831, St. John’s Parish, Parramatta
- Son of ADELAIDE DE LA THOREZA, convict
- Son of GEORGE SMITH, aka JOHN SMITH
- Half-brother of THOMAS JAMES MASTERS
- Half-brother of ADELAIDE MASTERS
- Susan Ballyn, “The Biography of Adelaide de la Thoreza: Fact or Fiction?” COOLABAH, No. 20, (2016): 38–47, https://www.raco.cat/index.php/coolabah/article/viewFile/327563/418091, accessed online 10 June 2018.
- James Cameron, Adelaide de la Thoreza: A Chequered Career, (Sydney: Foster and Fairfax, General Printers, 13 Bridge Street, 1878), 38 pp., http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-39562056, accessed online 10 June 2018.
- Lucy Frost, “Adelaide de Thoreza (1806?–1877),” in Lucy Frost and Colette McAlpine (eds.), Edges of Empire Biographical Dictionary of Convict Women from beyond the British Isles, (2016), https://www.eoe.convictwomenspress.com.au/index.php/biographical-dictionary/13-d/56-de-thoreza-adelaide, accessed 10 June 2018.
- Lucy Frost, “Una Convicta Espanola: Adelaide de Thoreza in Botany Bay,” in Lucy Frost and Colette McAlpine (eds.), From the Edges of Empire: Convict Women From Beyond the British Isles, (South Hobart, Tasmania: Convict Women’s Press Inc., 2015), pp. 220–34.
- Old Bailey Proceedings Online (www.oldbaileyonline.org, version 8.0), 11 June 1829, trial of ADELAIDE DE THORAZA (t18290611-289), accessed 10 June 2018.
- Parish Baptism Registers, Textual Records, St. John’s Anglican Church Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia.
- The Digital Panopticon, Adelaide De Thoraza Life Archive, (ID: obpt18290611-289-defend2096), accessed 10 June 2018.
Note: This profile is a stub. More information will be added in due course.